Thursday 2 February 2012

Hooray! It's Rubbish!

It's been a difficult birth. I was on the verge of ditching it and starting again, but I've decided not to, partly because I've run out of time, and partly because, as I said before, the finished song isn't the important thing. However, it is crap.

I quite enjoyed the 'direct input' solid-bodied method, and I'll probably use that again at some point- though I'd probably have to get a soprano if I was to use it more than once more.

I won't be using my teenage songwriting methods again though. Picking a relatively commonplace, simple structure might work for some, but not for me. The music ended up sounding like 'Ordinary World' by Duran Duran, and the vocal melody ended up reminiscent of 'Times Like These' by the Foo Fighters (which means, by extension, that Duran and Foos sound like each other. Who'dathunkit?).

It was derivative, adolescent, whiney, bland crap, and at any other time I'd have cast it into the abyss.

But I still have the bowling alley in my head, tomorrow I'm off to Cheltenham, and I'll be returning to a houseful. I don't have time to do anything else. So it'll have to bloody do.

I've done one. That's enough.

There:

http://www.box.com/s/pxtlx6sufq1cprzhnqin